Player searching

Subscribe to Player searching 34 post(s), 7 voice(s)

May 19, 2008 10:43

27 posts(s)

I’m sick of looking for players by searching every country. You guys think you can make the player searching system more specific were we can search players by positions, age, price, attributes, value etc. it would make life a lot more easier.

Cheers…

May 19, 2008 11:25

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

We have plans on that, they’re called scouts! Did you think you’d get that for free? ;-)

Cheers!

May 19, 2008 11:33

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Polat, you are using the transfer list tab in the countries, right? Because we have the search by position there.

We had a discussion about searching here, and the conclusion was that we didnt want to make the process of finding nice players too easy. The understanding is that this would eliminate the fun of finding them. But as Gabriel mentioned, we will have scouts :).

cheers

May 21, 2008 09:23

27 posts(s)

oh ok thats fine as long as we can do that to every tab like not just for positions. like you can do it for age aswell and pass, tac, shoot. i agree about finding players too easy but if you can do the others instead of just pos it would be perfect.

Cheerss…

May 23, 2008 16:26

120 posts(s)

Donator

If the server could serve the pages I want instantly, I’d be FINE with going through country by country to find players I want. I could just set up Firefox to open all those pages instantly.

It doesn’t happen that way.

Therefore, I want ALL the free transfers/transfers/loans on ONE page. Going through country by country… and having to take another step to filter for “transfer”, “free transfer”, “loan”, “all”… for every country??? I find it impossible to do that each morning before going out the door to WORK (yeah, I have a JOB… that’s why I can DONATE).

So, I think we need to find a better balance of “research required” in finding players… vs. time… vs. server load.

I WANT research work to be rewarded in this game. I also want this game to last for a long while… so I want to donate. I also want to be able to see/download all the info I need before I go to work each day. So I can continue to donate.

Give “donators” access to a page/spreadsheet/file of all the available players (transfers, frees, loans) in ALL the countries after each tick??? Seems like a fair trade of money for time to me.

Is that unreasonable? And maybe it will “encourage” some more people that CAN donate, to actually open their wallets?

May 23, 2008 17:48

29 posts(s)

Donator

Of course the server response time could be improved if they could afford a better server, but I think it is still much much easier to go through these countries than it was on managersim and all players at once would make it way too easy to find players.

May 23, 2008 19:55

120 posts(s)

Donator

Currently Rubysoccer is much easier than managersim… yes. (because MS had a lot more countries to check!)
And I respectfully ask you… where is managersim RIGHT NOW??? OUT OF BUSINESS!!!

“Way too easy” to find players. Maybe… if you have all day to sit here and look for them. I DON’T. (though some days I try…)

And just because managers can find players, doesn;t mean they can find the right players. Or will get the players they do find.

So, again, I cordially disagree.

Server response would be improved if they could afford a better server… and if more people donated, they could afford it! No one donates because they have NO REASON to donate. Give them a reason!

Server response might also improve if fewer people were online simultaneously searching for players too!!! So, letting donators download a file (and then search it offline) might help in two ways. They help pay for a better server, and use it less often.

The “poor students” or “poor kids” that can’t afford to pay should have more free time than those of us who WORK all day. So, they don’t lose much if they can’t afford to donate. This site is BLOCKED where I work. So I can’t even stop in and look at things on my lunch break.

Say… what… $10 a year?… to get access to a flat file list of all available players each tick… is that REALLY unreasonable???

Does it give such a huge unfair advantage? If it does, is it unreasonably priced?

In the end, if no one donates, then eventually this place ends up just like managersim. (may it rest in peace) Is that what we want?

May 23, 2008 20:09

120 posts(s)

Donator

Searching every country, every tick, is MINDLESS GRUNT WORK. If I’m the owner/manager of a real team, I have people to do this for me! I pay them. They report to me.

So… let me pay for the report if I want!!!

If some guys wanna check everything themselves… let them… that’s fine with me!

In fact, I’d pay a little EXTRA each year to simply have the report emailed to me. So, they could add levels of “service”… at a low price… but a price that helps insure the continued existence of this game. With no “unfair advantage” to those that pay.

May 23, 2008 22:46

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

You have a good point Dave, we’ll do something about it, for sure.

Cheers!

May 24, 2008 08:00

29 posts(s)

Donator

What do you mean, Gabriel? I hope it is something related to a scout, not allowing anyone, regardeless what they donate, to have a full list of available player.

May 24, 2008 09:21

120 posts(s)

Donator

Everyone already has a full list of available players… it’s just that the server can’t serve them fast enough!!!

And I fail to see how sitting here, waiting endlessly for pages to load, so that I can copy them and put them in a spreadsheet for sorting… makes me a “better” manager than someone that doesn’t have time for that. Currently, we have a unfair system that favors people with lots of time on their hands… not smart people that are good managers. That seems wrong to me.

May 24, 2008 09:47

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I’ll talk to Danilo and we’ll consider the different opinions here. Whether the solution will be a downloadable spreadsheet, scouts or a better search engine I don’t know yet, but we’re lacking something on this area.

Cheers!

May 24, 2008 12:24

85 posts(s)

Donator

I completely disagree with any kind of paid advantages to anyone. The trade offs should be in game, more money in game, scouts, rules to generate scout reports. That’s the way of a free game (if that is the way).
I believe we have server problems because too many new leagues were implemented at the same time, and now we have lots of free teams to overload the server, but that is another story. If we want to help, besides donating, advertise the game, more players, more donators too. (I know this is the hard way too… Sorry Danilo/Gabriel.)
The special delivery is a good idea too, pay to receive the transfer lists in your e-mail with schedules saves the time of coming in game and generate them, it’s not a real advantage, and gives you more money. As long as you send 8 files like the ones possible to generate in game with copy paste…
Cheers

May 24, 2008 18:14

29 posts(s)

Donator

I don’t see any difference between a single file or a bunch o files. I think one file or any file would ruin the fun of findind a good player. By the way, I work all day long and can’t access from work either.

Scouts are the only way to go on this matter.

May 25, 2008 15:40

2 posts(s)

Donator

I’m against this file idea, there should be no difference between donators and non donators, but if any file shoud be added, than everyone should have access to it. I also consider boring to search for players on this files. It would become very easy to find players.

May 25, 2008 21:24

85 posts(s)

Donator

I don’t agree with files for donators, what I think is that it’s a good service to have the files as an extra paid service, available for anyone (paid).
It’s no advantage (what ruin!!!) to receive the files by mail instead of log in and copy/paste, except for the time, and time is money, this is a point where ruby can score some extra $, though I believe only 16 people might really be the target of the service…

May 26, 2008 07:40

29 posts(s)

Donator

I make it clear that I am completely, absolutely, entirely against the file idea, BUT
if it is NOT and advantage, than it should NOT be restricted to Donators or be available only by payment.

May 26, 2008 11:43

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Well, one possibility that I was talking to Gabriel about is to dedicate one of our access points to donators only. As for the game features, I agree that there should be nothing available to donators only.

We still have to study the possibility, but the only advantage would be the very fast access to the game. The idea is that the donator should at least have a quicker access to the game. What do you guys think about that?
cheers

May 26, 2008 20:08

29 posts(s)

Donator

Anything different for donators is wrong in my opinion. The game is either free entirely or payed. I would pay for this game, but while it is free, everything has to be equal for donators and non-donators.

May 26, 2008 21:48

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

talk about altruism :) but I think I agree with you. Lets see if we have more opinions/arguments here.

cheers!

May 27, 2008 07:13

29 posts(s)

Donator

There is nothing to do with altruism ;-). When I find a player today, being “hard” as it is now, I have to fight for that player against 5 to eight other managers. If this file idea goes ahead, there will be even more managers trying to get the player.
If something should be done is to make it even harder to find a player… like dividing the search page of every country in pages of 10 players most. Adding more countries, increasing the delay of server response.

I`d like the day when it will be possible to find a player and don`t have to fight for him against a whole bunch of other managers.

May 30, 2008 22:06

120 posts(s)

Donator

Did you actually suggest we make the server response SLOWER??? Are you out of your mind? There 400+ manager-less teams right now… would you be happy if you were the ONLY manager here? Because that will happen if the server gets slow enough. Then you get your wish… you’ll be the ONLY manager bidding on players!!!

Why limit it to 10 players per page?… let’s make it ONE player per page. And yeah, let’s add more countries… there are already over 400 teams without managers.

I agree, paying customers should not get an UNFAIR advantage. Unfair, to me, means that someone has access to something others do not. Everyone HAS access to the available players.

Everyone does NOT have the precious quantity of TIME to search through those players. The current system is completely UNFAIR to people who must work (for one example).

Why don’t we limit the amount of time a manager can spend online with his team each tick??? That would make things much more fair.

Because right now, some kid with no job and all day to search for players has an UNFAIR advantage over me. And I DONATE, and he DOESN’T.

That is not reality. Not a sustainable reality. Ask the guy that ran managersim.

I don’t want access to information that non-paying players don’t have.

I don’t want to get better youths. I don’t want my players to develop better because I pay. (although, in real life, teams that pay DO get better youths, and DO have players that develop faster and better).

I don’t want any “unfair” advantage.

I want the playing field to be leveled.

I want to be able to get the same info that some dork with all day to search has.

I want the game to survive financially.

I do not want it to cost a LOT… I want it VERY inexpensive… but I want it to cost SOMETHING… so that the game will LIVE, and THRIVE.

Because it’s a good game, and getting better.

“Free” is a great way to get people into the game. But not a good way to keep the game going.

May 30, 2008 22:17

120 posts(s)

Donator

Why not “test” it for a while. If it turns out to be a bad idea… you can always put an end to it.

May 30, 2008 22:26

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I think it’s something worth trying . I’ll work with Danilo to figure out the better way to do that.

Cheers!

May 30, 2008 23:46

29 posts(s)

Donator

Yeah, Dave, you are not the only one who works, mate, then don’t throw this one on me. and yes, I think one player per page would be better than giving them all away at once.
And I’d be happier alone in this game than in a game where money gives ADVANTAGE to some players. And don`t say it is not an advantage, because you know it is.

Gabriel, think this one through, because it is a mistake.

May 31, 2008 00:57

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

This discussion is getting hot… NICE! Thi is the kind of spirit we need here. ARGUMENTS! One of the things which helps us most to improve this game.
Everybody has a good point, and balance is what we seek. We don’t want to make the game so easy that any idiot with 5 minutes would be able to be successful. But we also don’t want to unable people with limited amount of time to be competitive, for starters because we are part of the latter group and our motivation to build this game is that we had a lot of fun playing managersim.
Lets see where this discussion can lead us.
cheers!

May 31, 2008 09:07

29 posts(s)

Donator

I don’t see this “limited amount of time” argument as a valid one. Unless Dave is really a workholic, and I am sometimes like that, he is an exception, not the rule.
A scout system would ease things down, and would use team’s money, not the manager’s.

I donate because this game is great and addicting, not to buy my arguments.

May 31, 2008 12:22

120 posts(s)

Donator

I’m already a good manager in this game, so it’s not like I need the “help”. Nor do I think it will make the game too easy. But I could be wrong.

I also think there needs to be a good reason to encourage people to contribute financially. I think this is a good way to do that.

I am personally growing ever more tired of the chronic “treasure hunt” aspect of this game (and managersim before). I now find it somewhat annoying… it’s like work. Not going through all the lists… that’s fun! But GETTING the lists. That’s annoying.

I have to login. Often times I get booted right there… and have to keep trying. Once I’m in… I have to choose my gameworld… then open the country list… then open every country… then go to the transfer list for each country… then sort for free transfers… and every click… I have to wait, and wait, and wait for the page to load… and sometimes they fail to load… and I have to try again… and again.

And because everyone else needs to do this too… it places more demand on the server. And if the game grows the way we want (more managers, more countries)… the server demand will only worsen… and page delivery will only slow. And more precious development time will be spent on streamlining the database and figuring ways to serve pages quicker… and less time will be spent developing gameplay.

So, I if have 20 minutes or so in the morning… and I spend more than half that just accessing the pages I need… and somedays I don’t even GET to access the pages before I need to leave, and I just give up…. that’s not “challenging”… that’s annoying, stupid, frustrating.

Forcing managers to waste time waiting for pages to load is frustrating. It seems a good way to drive intelligent thoughtful managers away from the game. And you lose an opportunity to make some money while you’re at it.

THINK about it…. “the ability to endure forced long page load times”. Is that what makes a good manager? Is that something that makes a manager more deserving of obtaining better or cheaper players? Is that what we want the game to be about?

May 31, 2008 13:04

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Dave, you have a very good point. But I am curious about one thing, for now: what is the message when the pages fail to load there? How is that going, recently?

cheers

May 31, 2008 14:38

120 posts(s)

Donator

Danilo, I think I’ve had 3 or 4 different types of messages… but I didn’t keep track of them. I’ll start to do that, and let you know. I also want you to know that the load times and connection rate is generally MUCH better than Managersim was… I am not complaining!