world cup

Subscribe to world cup 51 post(s), 18 voice(s)

June 30, 2009 13:48

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Sorry for the long post, it’s worth reading :)
As those following our Twitter already know, we will have a World Cup with clubs AND the current international cups. When this new competition is ready, three things WILL change:
>National cups will end late in the season, there will be 6 turns between same round matches and 12 turns between rounds. Countries with more than 32 clubs will have their cups ending on turn 97 and the other countries will have their cups ending on turn 79. Some may say it should end even later, but I want to keep this formula so we can have countries with even more clubs when lower divisions are added.
>Current Club World Cup will be replaced by this new World Cup. It makes no sense to keep 2 so-called World Cup competitions.
>Champions League, UEFA Cup, Libertadores and Sudamericana will start in the beginning of the season. When they will end depends on what is written below.
My intention is to create a 32 clubs World Cup split in 8 groups of 4. From there, same formula currently used in the international cups will apply (teams play each other twice in each group, 2 first of each group qualify, following rounds have 2 legs, except for the final). Alternatively, we could have 16 teams instead of 32.
Now, there is another decision to make. How do we choose the 32 (or 16) teams that will be part of the World Cup? I see a few options: (in order of personal preference)
1) Use national leagues to qualify for World Cup. This way teams in the World Cup won’t play other international competitions. For example: on country ABC, the 3 teams better qualified in the first division will be part of next season’s World Cup, 4th, 5th and 6th places will be part of Champions League and 7h, 8th and 9th places will be part of UEFA Cup. How many teams will go to each competition will depend on the current country ranking position, as we have today.
2) Use current international cups to qualify for World Cup. This way the best qualified teams on these competitions would go to the World Cup.
2a) 16 best on CL + 16 best on LA (or half if we have only 16 teams in the World Cup)
2b) 12 best on CL + 12 best on LA + 4 best on UC + 4 best on CS (or half if we have only 16 teams in the World Cup)
Why do I prefer the first option? Well, if we use the first option more teams on each country will have the chance to participate in an international competition, which means a better balance regarding money distribution (from ticket income) and player evolution (for playing international competitions) and more people having fun from these competitions. Using the second option will make a few teams concentrate the benefits of participating in 2 international competitions in the same season. I’m pretty sure that is not good for the game.
I wrote too much already, now let’s read some comments :)

June 30, 2009 14:17

241 posts(s)

I like the first option better.

June 30, 2009 15:09

120 posts(s)

Donator

BRAVO, you guys nail it, it was worth to keep trying, i think this is going to be great, now i see the rubbyfutbol community growing fast.,….you guys rock, keep it up!!!!….by the way i like Danillo´s way, but any other option its fine with me.

SALUD2

June 30, 2009 16:10

55 posts(s)

Donator

DaMaGo, what is Danilo’s way? I only saw Gabriel’s.

By the way, based on your the first option Gabriel, you will change the number of spots for LA/SA right? So, you will remove that Qualifying round?

June 30, 2009 16:17

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

@Samir: Not necessarily, I’ll probably keep the number of spots for the current competitions, they will just be “moved down” to give room for the World Cup spots.
I’m glad you guys understand that we’ll probably go for the first option. And yes, it is going to be great, DaMaGo \o/

June 30, 2009 16:45

387 posts(s)

I’m for option 2b.
Whats the attraction, when 50% or more of the league plays international. Champions league without any national champion? I dont like that idea much – thats UEFA cup or a new cup/league e.g. the “Cesario-Castilho-cup” ;-)
Then establish a 1st world league (CL+LA), a 2nd world league (UEFA+CS) and the 3rd world league (places 6-9 in national leagues) … this declination would make more sense, though i still like option 2b best!

June 30, 2009 17:55

375 posts(s)

I think Champions League and Libertadoras will lose their attractiveness if champions will not participate there. So, maybe it is better if best CL and LA clubs participate or if we just combine European and American Cups…

June 30, 2009 18:35

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I like the idea of joining CL with LA and UEFA with CS. We could have the qualifying round as we have now, but when it comes to the group stage we could have 8 groups mixing teams from 2 competitions. Unfortunately this way we wouldn’t have a CL, LA, UC or CS champion, cause these competitions would only be used as a pre-qualification to the World Cups.
I don’t know about 2b, I’m still not comforable with the consequences I mentioned…

June 30, 2009 20:39

241 posts(s)

I dont know about CL but LA right now is not so different than Copa do Brazil with always Brazilian teams playing each other in the later stages.

I am in for combining Cl with LA.

June 30, 2009 23:50

651 posts(s)

i am for the first option…

July 01, 2009 13:04

637 posts(s)

I also choose option 2b. If you only can play 1 international competition every season, you can better delete CL, LA, UEFA and CS. Like Philipp said half of the teams will play international. I don’t think that’s good for the game. You need to be able to fight for an international spot. CL, LA,… won’t have any glamour anymore.
For concentration of the benefits: I don’t think the teams who will qualify for the world cup will be the same every season. There are a lot of good teams at the moment. Only teams like Hertha and perhaps Benfica will have a benefit because their competions aren’t that strong.
Managers also need to take care of the stamina of their teams, they can’t play every match with their best 11. This gives chances for teams who doesn’t play in international competitions to reach this international spots…

July 01, 2009 13:56

40 posts(s)

Donator

This is a difficult question…

I like the first option too because teams from all countries would participate, but I don’t like the possibility of CL, LA, UEFA and Sud losing “glamour”.

If instead of moving-down the international spots to place the World cup ones, we put them in parallel? So, the better qualified teams in each league would be participating in the World Cup and also in CL and LA… The managers would have to take more care about the stamina and all countries would have a chance to play in WC.

Cheers

July 01, 2009 16:22

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

My feeling so far:
>World Cup with 16 clubs (32 is too much right now) split in 4 groups
>The 6 best on Champions League, 6 best on Libertadores, 2 best on UEFA and 2 best on Sudamericana qualify for the World Cup
>5th and 6th best on CL and LA will be decided by team quality, so the 2 best teams knocked out in the quarter-finals

July 01, 2009 16:44

241 posts(s)

How about a small playoff to determine the last two teams from Cl and LA instead of CPU picking. Four loosing teams in quarter-finals facing each other the same round the semi-finals played. It would be more fair i think.

July 01, 2009 20:24

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Ok, I accept you suggestion, amacb :)

July 01, 2009 20:45

387 posts(s)

each of the 4 groups should consist of 2 european and 2 south american … while i’m writing this i wonder why the proportion is 1:1 (8:8 teams) – there are 7 european leagues and 4 south american (~2:1) … or better: the proportion should depend on how strong the two continental asssociations are – or is this dynamic ratio too complex to integrate ?!

July 01, 2009 21:29

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

It will be too complex to do at from start. Let’s get everything working with the 1:1 ratio and implement the dynamic ratio later on. ;)

July 02, 2009 04:08

828 posts(s)

what about having the best manager of each country manage the country in a REAL world cup.
and send the best players from the countries…and let him select the squad.

July 02, 2009 10:43

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

That’s another subject, Davison. And we’ll have that too :)

January 10, 2011 09:03

120 posts(s)

Donator

SO FAR WORLD CUP IS SO SO SO BORING…..

AGAIN I WOULD LIKE TO POINT THE WORLD CUP SHOULD BE BETWEEN CLUBs, THAT WILL BRING REAL COMPETITION.(and join america and europe in competition).
LIKE NOW IT IS SO RANDOM AND VERY BORING….

Salu2

January 20, 2011 18:11

120 posts(s)

Donator

I manage Spain in FT, i would like to see one of the atackers of Geta in the national team, sergio comino,,, he is not on the list, and he is much better than any one on it…..
WHY?
salu2