CL qualification losers

Subscribe to CL qualification losers 9 post(s), 5 voice(s)

October 30, 2010 13:03

639 posts(s)

Donator

Don’t know if it has been suggested before, but shouldn’t the losers of the Champions League qualification round qualify for the Europa League? Not only because it’s the case in real life, but also because it’s strange that a number three of a league can get more European games (even if they lose all their European Games) than the champion…

October 30, 2010 23:02

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Yes, it has been suggested. I was reluctant at that time because I wanted to standardize all competitions to make it easier to design and eliminate the need to keep up with real life changes in the rules. Now I feel like discussing it :-)

October 31, 2010 09:17

639 posts(s)

Donator

Ok, so I am still building up my team. Last season I became third, and got six euro league games as a bonus (lost most of them, but ok). So 6 games to get experience points and 3 games to make money.

This season I became second, which mean I will have to play a qualifier for the Champions League. Good chance I will lose. So it means I will get 2 games to get experience points, and 1 game to make money.

A team that is building up wants to get experience points and money. It would probably have been better for my team go lose some games on purpose, wouldn’t it? To become third in the league?

But it would have been better if I would not have this dilemma, and second (or first) place is just better than third.

October 31, 2010 20:24

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I agree it makes sense. In South America we don’t have such a rule, so some managers may do as you said, lose some points on purpose to play more international matches by qualifying for Sudamericana instead of Libertadores. In RL this doesn’t happen because Libertadores gives teams more money and more exposure, but let’s not talk about economy yet ;-)

December 13, 2010 17:17

639 posts(s)

Donator

Won’t happen soon, right? My team is currently second in the standings, but at this moment I prefer 100% chance to play Europe League to (less than) 50% chance to play Champions League. So unless my suggestion is applied for next season, I need to drop some points.

December 14, 2010 21:00

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

No, next season the rule will still be the same.

February 21, 2011 17:53

13 posts(s)

Donator

really in europe league plays more teams in real live, so probable should be even two qualification rounds on europa league.
I am agree the losers on qualification should go directly to Europa league (or unless qualification again) is better this team that the qualified for europa league! so right now is better qualy 5th in league (1st qualified for europa league) than qualify 4th in league (last qualified for champions) because 4th will fight with hard team and almost all the 4th goes out in the CL qualification

February 22, 2011 22:36

120 posts(s)

Donator

You are a CRACK Jota, you just said it all plain in your 2 post.
Agree….. let´s rock the place not just the match eng.

@

May 01, 2011 15:51

637 posts(s)

I thought about a possible solution with the countries we have in Europe right now. Since there still are many CPU teams in countries like Russia, Greece and Turckey I don’t think we need more countries at the moment. I agree with Jota and Damago we need to find a way CL qualification losers can play EL.

In Europe we have 30 teams playing EL at the moment. In CL there are 13 qualification losers. It would give us 43 teams for EL. When I also introduce a place for the 4 teams ended 3th in the CL poules in the EL 2nd round (after groupphase) we need an extra round after the groupphase with 16 teams in stead of 8. (4 CL + 12 EL gr.phase)
To end in this 2nd round with 12 teams of the EL groupphase we need 6 groups in stead of the 4 we have now.
6 groups gives 24 teams in EL. It gives us 48 teams in the qualification round. I suggest we take the 30 EL spots we have now + 13 CL qualification losers + 5 extra created EL spots.

Conclusion
EL qualification: 48 teams: 30 EL spots + 13 CL qualification losers + 5 extra created EL spots => 24 winners to groupphase
EL groupphase: 6 groupes of 4 teams => number 1 and 2 of each group to 2nd round => 12 teams
EL 2nd round: 12 teams of EL groupphase + 4x 3th place CL groups => 16 teams to 1/8 finals

I haven’t thought about South America yet.