Foreign players limit/penalty

Subscribe to Foreign players limit/penalty 5 post(s), 4 voice(s)

August 13, 2010 18:04

639 posts(s)

Donator

In the Dutch league, there is a team without any Dutch players. Also I think there are more Brazilians then Dutch players playing in the Dutch league (not counting youths). Now in real life, this is not possible: there are rules limiting the amount of non-eu players (and rules for limiting the amount of foreign players are considered). Also there are disadvantages for having (a lot of) foreign players: players can get homesick, having trouble with the cultur or language difference etc.

I am wondering if country does matter in any way in RubySoccer. If not, should it not be, at least a bit?

August 14, 2010 03:51

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Right now it doesn’t, the short-term plan we have on this matter is to give advantage on negotiations for teams with the same country as the player. After that we will probably implement some kind of adaptation penalty when a player change countries. I’m not completely sure about the limitation on the number of players in the squad, though, but of course this is debatable :)

September 14, 2011 12:23

639 posts(s)

Donator

I still find the idea interesting that having home country players matters. For example, to have a minimum amount of home country players in your squad.

Does it make the game more realistic? More or less. There are teams in real life that (sometimes) play with only foreign players (in the English league for example). However, a lot of leagues do have rules about it. Also one might argue that fans like to see (at least some) players from their own country in their favourite team.

A more important question: does it make the game more interesting and/or more fun? Not sure, but I think it might. It gives an extra dimension to creating a good team and a bonus for developing your own youth players.

There are disadvantages: it can be an extra handicap for teams from weak countries (while for Brazilian of French teams it’s no problem at all). Also one can just add five weak players to the squad who never play just to follow the rules.

As Gabriel points out, there are other options. One that he doesn’t mention having home country players attract more sponsors and/or more fans. Seems plausible from a realistic point of view, and probably also fun-enhancing: it’s a possibility to earn a bonus. In this case I suggest the bonus for teams in the weaker countries is a little more than for Brazil and France.

September 15, 2011 09:05

609 posts(s)

If you need a certain amount of players from your own country, alot of managers will just join a team that is in a high ranked country. Which will result in alot of empty country that are lower ranked. We already have a system for youth development, this should be enough.

May 26, 2012 06:23

72 posts(s)

i agree with vaughn… this kind of limitation means country with highest ranking will have unfair advantage…