Newspaper variables

Subscribe to Newspaper variables 7 post(s), 3 voice(s)

July 17, 2009 07:26

33 posts(s)

Hi,

Great work with putting together the newspaper article screen, this should make it really easy for everyone to put together some fun articles.

On the draw scenario there appears to be an option missing for an expected draw. The current options only allow for a draw when one of the teams were expected to win. It would also be nice to differentiate between a score draw (e.g. 1-1, 2-2) and a no-score draw (ie. 0-0).

You could also pick out key events, so you could write an article about a player being red carded or injured maybe.

It might also be useful to be able to pick a certain type of match, so that people could write a report specifically for a Champion’s League game, rather than having to make it general enough to apply to all types of match.

Some suggestions for new variables to improve the customisation:

- Winning/losing manager’s names.

- Winning/losing team’s country.

- Player names. For example By selecting winning team player number 1, you would be able to use the goalkeeper’s name.

- Winning/losing team’s number of goals scored in the first half, 2nd half and in total.

- Winning goalscorer’s name.

- Winning/losing team’s shirt colours (could be used to describe players or fans)

- Random number of minutes, to allow some variety on “X event happened on 72 minutes”

I can’t wait to see the newspaper come together!

cheers,

Neil.

July 17, 2009 09:53

609 posts(s)

Nice ideas but you have to remember you only have a few characters to write in your article. How can you fill all those option in with so lillte characters available? And you have to remember that they have to be for every team and every result.
These are already there, check the announchment topic;
- Winning/losing manager’s names.
- Winning/losing team’s country.

July 17, 2009 12:46

33 posts(s)

Haha, I wouldn’t intend to use them all in one article! You just might slip something in such as “X team scored 2 goals in the second half to secure the win”, or making something up about one of the players just to add a bit of a personalised touch.

Sorry, didn’t realise there was a discussion in the other thread following the announcement, I was just going by the variable listed on the newspaper editor in the actual game.

The more variables we have available the better, so that the articles are different everytime they crop up.

July 17, 2009 14:32

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Nice, guys. I really forgot the “expected tie” option :). I will add it. As for the rest, I will add more to the var list help, but as always you can write anything you think it would be a good idea inside the %{}. If we agree with you, we will make it work and let others know. I will put together a diffent page so I can list all vars discussed so far… But the main ones will remain in the page they are today. Moreover, It is in our plans to offer more specific match results classifications so we can have more options in our articles.

July 17, 2009 14:58

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Added the missing sub_category for tie! Expected result. cheers!

July 17, 2009 18:17

33 posts(s)

Quick work as ever Danilo!

The new expected tie result says “scores exactly as expected”. I assume you mean the difference in scores rather than a precise score? i.e. if the expected result was 1-1 this result condition would be met for any other draw such as 0-0 or 2-2, not just 1-1?

cheers.

July 17, 2009 18:51

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

well, i was thinking about that when i was adding it. i might change this to “scores as expected” only, because it refers to difference of goals only.