Forums General

New Layout

Subscribe to New Layout 39 post(s), 11 voice(s)

August 28, 2009 17:19

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I’ve created this topic for discussions around the new layout. Let me start with a comment. It is possible to alternate between what we call miniature layout and standard layout. By default all existing users were set to use the miniature layout (menu icons in the left side of the screen) but if you don’t like it you can go to your settings page (gears icon) and uncheck the miniature layout option. It may be necessary to exit and enter in the dimension again.

Cheers!

August 28, 2009 17:47

651 posts(s)

well… guys… i am just overwhelmed right now… will post my thoughts after i have gone through the whole thing throughly…

just wanted to say i didn’t think the change was gonna be this big in terms of User Interface…

August 28, 2009 17:56

637 posts(s)

Yeah… big chance…I first thought I was on the wrong site :D
My first impression: Nice. Allthough I find the green for 95+ skills on the colorized player page a bit too flashy.
More impressions wil follow….

August 28, 2009 17:57

287 posts(s)

Standard layout is more intuitive. I think it should be good to set this as default.

I know it is hard to say, but my first impression is that this new layout is slower and bigger (it seems that my 19" monitor is not enough anymore). If I could choose like skins, I would prefer old one because of speed and size layout.

And green as default color make me feel more calm, but this is just a girlie comment.

August 28, 2009 18:13

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Standard layout is the default for new users, we put the miniature as default for existing users cause they were already used to icons instead of menus. Regarding size, it adjusts to fit different screen resolutions so if you have a big resolution things will look fairly spread. But we need to consider the most used resolution from our users is 1024×768 (23% of our visits).

August 28, 2009 18:21

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

that is the major problem with statistics… we have collected opinions from people around us, who preferred the miniature layout. But now some cry babies like Ulisses will start whining here. lol, kidding guys. Well, it is like Gabriel said, you can change from one to the other with very few clicks. Also, about the color: we will add the option to choose whatever color you want for the header. :)

August 28, 2009 18:28

609 posts(s)

Hhm first though i had in mind..wow big. Everything is a little oversized and to much space between things in my opinion. I use a 19" widescreen with 1440×900 and it’s big :)

Some small things:
- Bold players are hard to see
- Icons on left, some are the same icons and same names like country
- Forum doesn’t open in a new tab but opens in the main screen
- In player screen of a team some left aligned things are aligned to far to the left
- Logo is ugly :p
- Icons on top are alot better! But the menu itself is kinda weird standing there

I’m also abit disappointed that i didn’t got asked to make a layout proposal :(

August 28, 2009 18:30

637 posts(s)

Green is good Danilo :) …Maybe it’s the white of the numbers or just me :) … Probably it’s me.

August 28, 2009 18:45

651 posts(s)

You guys have worked really hard for this change, and i would like to thank you guys for this effort.
Some pages are great and better than before, some have gotten worse… but i guess it takes some time to get used to the change, so, i would like to reserve my complaints so that i can appreciate the new UI better.

I think Vaughn has listed some of those common anomalies, which i back up at the moment…

The previous design was simple and comforting to the eyes, can’t say the same thing about this one though…

August 28, 2009 18:59

287 posts(s)

I couldn’t find hotlist link

August 28, 2009 19:08

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Hotlists are on the top right corner.

August 28, 2009 19:09

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Thanks for the feedback so far, keep it coming so we can work on improvements!

August 28, 2009 19:24

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

I’ve changed everybody to use the expanded layout. Whoever wants to use the miniature layout should go to the manager settings screen and change it manually. The reason being we think the expanded layout is more intuitive for first comers to the new layout.
cheers!

August 28, 2009 19:51

14 posts(s)

I hope you guys enjoy a more professional look to RubySoccer and some handy features such as hotlists, managers online being on modal boxes (e.g. not a separate page). There are countless things we didn’t have time to implement or change properly yet.

Ulisses, we had 3 colour schemes available: red (default), green and blue, which should be available to the user settings sometime soon ;)

Future changes that I’d like to work on when I have the time are:
1. Modal mailing system (again, not navigating away from any page)
2. Flash match replay using improved graphics (Danilo wanted it 3D, but that would cost him loads of burgers)
3. Newspaper using proper typography (will look and feel like the real thing!)

Cheers ;)

August 28, 2009 21:52

241 posts(s)

It will take some time to get used to and to be honest i am not really fan of red color but overall it think its a good design. Thanks for the work.

August 28, 2009 21:59

803 posts(s)

Can you change the skills number color to something more dark when we use the colorize option? It’s dificult to see the clearest greens and the white together. That should be easy to change.

August 28, 2009 22:21

120 posts(s)

Donator

Thanks guys for your work.

I need more time, i´m not sure…
I like it better before: BLUE (better than red)
ICONs on top, better than now.
team players screen now larger, doesnt fit my player so i have to use tab.
It looks more professional, but it is harder than before. New managers will loose patience sooner, so we might loose some, for me it is the same because i just have to search for it.
i will keep looking….. but please what about WORLD CUP….. i thought it was a done deal!!!!! i might be dreaming, and yes USA and MEXICO leagues should be added, and they must plaly, like they trying in real life, south american Libertadores…. and its about time the system stop brazilian league advantage in the ranking system.
SALUDO2

August 28, 2009 22:54

609 posts(s)

small thing, newspaper is now under “profile”, shouldn’t that be better under “league” ?

August 28, 2009 23:11

287 posts(s)

I’ve tried to set my team for next game. I have some personal opinions:

Changing the layout is good only if it improves games experience. Unfortunately at this develop stage it is not ready to provide a better experience. I suggest, if possible, to maintain the old interface and keep improving this new one. Maybe we could active something like “beta-beta mode” option to test it, make comments to developers then go back to the more stable one.

Good points of the old one:
- faster
- easier to see players list
- easier to set up formation
- less intrusive
- less ajax (easier to open multi-tabs)
- fixed table width
- color combination

Good points of the new one:
- hotlist organization
- easy to see who and how many is online

Bad point from both:
- not intuitive comment from my sister (I’m already familiar to the old one, so I don’t count)

August 29, 2009 00:23

609 posts(s)

An other bug, the match replay is getting more prio then the menu. The menu is behind the match replay in Firefox and can’t be clicked when the match replay is on.

August 29, 2009 00:54

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

- color: we’ll have more options
- improve colorize colors: sure, that shouldn’t be hard
- icons on top: let’s give it a try for a while, we can change it later if need be
- being harder: a little bit cause you guys were used to it, a little bit because we need to work on the comments received here
- world cup: I owe you guys this one, but I also owe match engine improvements, let’s see what can I do first
- USA and Mexico: probably not yet
- newspaper location: makes sense to be under league while we only have match results news, not sure when we have other news
- maintain the old layout and improve this one: this would be hard given what we’ve changed so far
- match replay over menu: I’ve noticed this one, we’ll probably move the replay down so it doesn’t happen

Thanks guys!

August 29, 2009 10:57

609 posts(s)

making the forum in target_blank and not target_parent would be nice to :)

August 29, 2009 12:00

637 posts(s)

A small bug in the new layout.
The flags on the country page in fastticker are not on the right place anymore.
Edit: same for mediumticker

August 29, 2009 12:51

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

How strange, they show in the right place for me here…

August 29, 2009 13:30

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

@Vaughn: done.

August 29, 2009 18:09

14 posts(s)

Thorpedo, could you please inform which browser are you using, and maybe take a screenshot? Thank you ;)

UPDATE: actually, it looks wrong on my screen too. Danilo’s fault.

August 29, 2009 20:10

287 posts(s)

If the aim is 1024×728, set tables with fixed witdh, not witdh 100%. It will look better.

It would be great to change p, h1, h2, etc to a smaller font. Spaces between cells should be smaller too

August 30, 2009 01:35

1 posts(s)

Though wage and value are left aligned, it is easy to see and compare if they are right aligned.

August 30, 2009 03:36

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

The aim is not 1024×768, it’s the limit resolution we support. Regarding spaces, we can certainly work on that ;)

@Masato: I agree :)

August 30, 2009 03:38

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

About the country flags not being over their countries, we found the problem, it happens with the standard layout, not with the miniature, that’s why I couldn’t see it before. Working on it!

Forums General