Forums FastTicker

"Stange" scores in international cups ?!?

Subscribe to "Stange" scores in international cups ?!? 4 post(s), 3 voice(s)

July 11, 2013 13:53

28 posts(s)

Hi Gabriel,

Is there any change in the engine regarding the scores of International cups?
So many big scores for these 8th of finals !!!

I’m not asking because I have lost 4-0 (ok a little:), very sad after my result), but I can see many similar “strange” scores between teams managed by humans:
- Botafogo – Velez Sarsfield : 7-0
- Remo – Almagro : 4-0
- Middlesbrough – Dynamo Barnaul : 5-0
- Galatasaray – Gueugnon : 7-0
- Malaga – Feyenoord : 4-1

Any idea ?

Thanks and Regards,
Shawn

July 11, 2013 16:27

340 posts(s)

The result itself is no strange but I understand the frequency should not be too often.

That is the weaknesses in a real time game engine results. There are really two major ways to calculate results, one is the way it happens in this game, by generating and calculating score chances.

The second more realistic but harder to build is scripting the wins, draws and losses against some real world results.

So for England for example, you could for each game-week, hard-code the results for the say premier league for 10 seasons (the more – the better of course), then in each week, you sort it from the best to worst result – then map those results, after sorting the game league teams on most deserving those results, and “bingo” – you have real life results every tick. What you can fine-tune is the algorithm for sorting the game league teams in the order deserving the best scores. That can even be changed from season to season to add more variety into the game.

For example: game admin or game master (a role for staff that doesn’t play the game really as he can not tell what the criteria’s are to ruin the game play and playing himself to benefit from same game rules under the hood), can setup the game that a certain league will map to the results service by a certain order such as (one or a number of those):
1) offensive football, obviously formation dictates this,
2) smaller size of squad,
3) aggressiveness
4) average age of the first team
5) stamina
and so on…

Now, you will have a scripted system that delivers real life results to the teams and not knowing what is rewarded is the thing you need to find out so you can benefit from it.

Also same scripted set of result will give YOUR team different scores depending on those inputs..

Just some thoughts of course..

Oh, and one MAJOR advantage will also be SPEED of “playing the games”. “Generating” results for a whole league will be a matter of seconds.

/BK

July 12, 2013 00:36

4,284 posts(s)

Administator

@Shawn: no, nothing has changed. I suppose this is the result of a real time game engine as Berhan suggests, sometimes you end up having several “stand out” results happening very close to each other.

@Berhan: you have some crazy idea right there, don’t you? I’m not sure what to make of them yet, but from time to time I consider re-designing the game engine, only to move on to something else before making any changes to it :-D

July 12, 2013 09:47

340 posts(s)

Gabriel, not really too crazy if you consider it, as it is realistic, it’s all about who deserves the scores best and that is the formula you need to tweak.
In game development, it is common that you cheat, in all sorts of pre-hashing, pre-calculating stuff, nothing new or weird really.

Your major hurdle in an engine that calculates chances is adaptability, and if football changes you will have harder time to implement all new ways of playing (read calculating) the results. With pre-calculated (read from reality) you don’t need to worry about results, only one thing, WHO will get the result, that of course is behind the curtains(mirror) so you should never tell the managers (players of the game) that this is implemented, I am sure people will notice anyway.

And yeah, I might write a book on how football management games should be done perhaps, all in due time of course, I need a smash hit game to showcase my ideas first, and that is on the way…. ;)

/BK

Forums FastTicker