Forums FastTicker

In retrospective

Subscribe to In retrospective 15 post(s), 8 voice(s)

April 10, 2013 08:48

340 posts(s)

Ok, all changes in life are natural, even those not sold (accepted) as such.
What we can all do is learn and try to do /get better.

The new economy changes are GREAT, period.

What this has resulted in though and that is more of our ways of being people than anything the new model has to do with, is that people won’t sell better players, just because they think they can not find a good replacement because people won’t sell those players. Kind of “catch 22”, right?

So, in order to make it exciting and fair, I think the implementation for functionality to bid/get any player should be considered. Specially if not many are willing to sell their stars.
So this is my user story:

“As a manager in a club who can afford the best players the game has to offer, I should be able to buy any player I (the club) can afford acquiring.”

The WHY: because you can not do this naturally and also it’s more realistic.

The HOW:
A new department in the INVESTMENTS where you can allocate points for player BIDS/Protection.
That is not enough. For managers who want to protect their players, they should be able to protect few but not all.
For managers who will try to win a “bidding right” for certain player, there could be functionality allowing this.

So if we two new investment areas:
a) player protection (or call it player infrastructure / team management etc)
b) player PR services (or something else)

Manager would invest points in these areas, enabling bigger chance to sign a star and / or protect own stars.

There could be a random factor as well, that in game logic could be “the player choosing to stay” – but that percentage should be low (maybe maximum 20%).
Another thing the game engine should consider is “what is a BIG CLUB”, should we have such a thing?
Or any club with having enough money should be able to get any player?

Those are some starting points. More to come if anyone is interested.

/BK

April 10, 2013 12:30

296 posts(s)

I can see were you are going with this and it looks good, however i believe it can be alot simpler without managers losing alot of great players.

Add the big club clause, some young players and great players should insist on this if joining a normal team, even a buy out clause say of ten million etc could be thrown in.

Buy off computer managed teams, obviously they won’t accept every bid but it would be nice to offer a good value for any player in computer managed teams. They can accept or reject as they see fit.

These two changes would definitely spice things up a little.

April 10, 2013 20:20

803 posts(s)

The game can work just fine if we have people wanting to sell and people wanting to buy… If I dont want to sell a player I shouldn’t have to, unless of course that player is unhappy and wants to leave (that will eventually be improved) but it shouldnt have to be the need that some “dealer CPU” makes the deal for me. Your suggestion brings the game more to some lonely mode where you deal with your team and away from the multiplayer aspect of this games.

If there are no players for sale we should understand why people are not selling them, and giving them incentives to sell those players. This last changes helped with that, I hope they can prove enough, but it is too early to be sure of that. From what I’ve seen with MT’s Ajax the money conversion to Board points seems like a good incentive, now I think we need to give incentive to people to want those points, getting phisio and scouting more important will contribute to that, and it seems Gabriel is now working on that too…

Cheers

April 10, 2013 21:49

241 posts(s)

i like the idea of players not willing to renew their contracts. Yes you will hate your superstar to leave but you loose some gain some. It will definitely bring some activity to the transfer market making the game more realistic and playable. All shouldn’t be random though.

Why players ask for transfer or do not renew their contracts?

1-Willing to play for a better team in a better competition.

You have a star player but your team is mediocre or playing in a low ranked country/league- less chance of contract renewal.

2- Not getting enough playing time.

Your team is full of stars. Player is good but cant make the first XI he wants to play-less chance of contract renewal.

3-Player is home sick just wants to return home and play for a team in his home country- random factor

4-Player wants an early retirement willing to play in lower ranked team / league as long as the pay is good- random factor

etc..

all these can be somehow implemented maybe to make things more interesting

just my two cents

April 11, 2013 05:46

678 posts(s)

You just reminded me of something interesting Managersim had. In there old players actually had that, that at the end of their career they wanted to return to there home country.

I like all the idea’s actually. Anything to spice things up a little can make it interesting if you ask me

April 11, 2013 07:12

828 posts(s)

have a future contract negotiations be available for any manager for players that are unhappy and shopping the idea of leaving during a transfer window
the board will either agree with the offer or not. the manager sets the price if told the player does not want to stay, so the manager can still make money.
if the manager refuses to sell then the player will not renew a contract and will go to free agency this is my 2 cents

April 11, 2013 07:15

828 posts(s)

ofcourse this is if the player is completely unhappy and requests transfer or refuses contract renewal. but inorder to have such things player moral should be in store

-Homesick
_doesnt get along with : playerx
_does not like you ( manager)
_ not enough games
_has higher ambitions
_family problems

the list can go on each one could have a set degree of severity so the manager can improve that players moral but for some nothing can be done

ideas

April 11, 2013 07:16

828 posts(s)

player bonuses ect even

April 11, 2013 07:22

678 posts(s)

Well you can put in all kinds of reasons and the player go’s through them picking 1. The result however is the same… he’s unhappy and doesn’t want to renew. The reason for it is not that relevant. But I guess for us managers to make it funny, the player could come up with some kind of reason as a laugh :).

April 11, 2013 13:24

296 posts(s)

Some great ideas here, im going off topic and saying bring newspaper back to a good level, i used to love hearing managers opinions on opponents etc in the random interviews that it sent out.

April 11, 2013 16:38

678 posts(s)

Don’t forget it also printed ‘rumours’ from teams negociating for players. This was a good way to see if a team buying a player you perhaps missed on the TL yourself.

April 11, 2013 19:53

828 posts(s)

^ i like that idea sly, lol transfer rumors in newspaper lol along maybe
with occasional playerx story about how he wants to leave his club.

April 11, 2013 20:38

639 posts(s)

Donator

I like the player morale idea. An improved newspaper would be fun too, but I guess we can partly do something about that ourselves?

April 11, 2013 22:13

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

Some very nice ideas here. I’d say the player related ones have a higher priority compared to the improved newspaper. And yes, when we have more types of articles in the newspaper we expect your help again in generating the templates for the different topics. I remember many people didn’t get the idea when trying to help in the past so we’ll make sure it’s better explained when we get back to it.

April 13, 2013 12:32

340 posts(s)

Gabriel, about the paper, get someone at ODESK (cheap) or similar to use a tool for newspaper articles, have templates, read from web for football articles and create say 10-20 templates, rest is dynamic creation of the news paper. It’s worth spending say 100-200 dollars. It’s best to work with the templates, the data collection is easier. Just a thought. You also need to give something back to managers getting involved, people just want stuff for free, not gonna donate/help/pay if they can get things for free. Offer that a lottery will be made between the participating managers, winner will get a extremely promising youth player, or something.

Filipe, what about the BOARD runs over your decision and sells the player just because the OFFER is too good to refuse?
Very realistic. Also THAT GAME is a different game than players not willing to renew, that is interaction between player and manager.
My suggestion is game between you (manager) and club.

amacb suggestions are good, seasoned manager, he knows what he is talking about.

About the players not liking the manager, it SHOULDN’T BE TOO random, it has to do with the fact of what kind of manager you are. If you are a cow trader type, buy low sell high type, then you could attract only certain type of players. If you are all about winning titles you could attract certain type of players.
Of course players could change attitude during their careers, like younger players wouldn’t mind to join a “steping-stone” club in order to get a chance of potentially going to bigger clubs, think Ibrahimovic: Malmö → Ajax → etc…

I remember writing an article about different kind of coaches 10+ years ago, here are the types I am talking about:
1) The Hard-Nosed Coach
- believes strongly in discipline
- rigid about schedules
- very well organized
- enforces rules
- uses threats to motivate
- does not get personally close to players
- teams usually well-organized
- good team spirit when things are going well
Negative points :
- Dissension and unnecessary tension occur when things are not going well because of the coach’s inability to handle sensitive players.

2) The Nice-Guy Coach
- players want to play for him
- uses positive means to motivate his team
- often experiments
- his team is relaxed and cohesive
Negative points :
- Characterized as weak because he cannot handle players who take advantage of him.

3) The Intense,Driven Coach

- constantly worried and pushes himself
- spends hours on preparations
- considers setbacks as personal affronts
- his demand might be unrealistic and his team might burn itself out before the season ends or before crucial games.
Negative points :
- Intense involvement often leads to emotional display, which tends to embarrass the players, the team or organization.

4) The Easy-Going Coach

- does not take things seriously
- gives the impression that everything is under control
- he puts little presure on the team
- players do not complain
- players feel relaxed and free to question and often benefit from uninhabited
discussions.
Negative points :
- Too casual about training and produces a team that is not fit. The coach also produces a team that often panics when under presure.

5) The Business-Like Coach
- uses sharp logic and intellect to resolve problems and outguess the opponents
- would sell any player as long as the price is right
Negative points :
- Lacks compassion. He is unable to motivate his team emotionally and has little rapport with players who need his support and attention.

This is very important part in the game, pay attention or it is going to be half-baked thing and people will hate it. Do not be afraid to innovate.

Just my thoughts
/BK

Forums FastTicker