Forums General

Home vs Away

Subscribe to Home vs Away 14 post(s), 6 voice(s)

November 21, 2008 10:32

24 posts(s)

Donator

Anyone else think the home advantage is a little exaggerated?

Let me tell you what I mean

My games @ home:

vs Freamunde → 10 – 0
vs Gil Vicente → 5 – 1
vs FC Porto → 3 – 1
vs Boavista → 2 – 0
vs Paços Ferreira → 8 – 1
vs Vizela (was top of the league) → 4 – 1

Goals for: 35; goals against: 4

My games away:

vs Académica → 1 – 5 (won)
vs U. Leiria → 1 – 0
vs Santa Clara → 1 – 1
vs Naval → 2 – 1
vs Leixões → 4 – 0
vs Beira Mar (bottom of the league!) → 4 – 3
vs Benfica → 3 – 1
vs Marítimo → 2 – 1

Goals for: 12; goals against: 17

And that’s my team playing with the same formation, because I believe if one team is good enough it shouldn’t have to change formations when it plays away, rather than at home. This is a little too unbalanced.

I think there SHOULD be home advantage, but this is a little too much, what do you think?

November 21, 2008 16:35

375 posts(s)

Almost same here

Home – 26-6 in 9 matches, 8 wins 1 tie

Away – 15-14 in 9matches, 4 wins 1 tie 3 losses

!!!

And my ML scored 13 goals in 25 matches and AL scored 12 goals in 24 =)

November 21, 2008 17:30

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

We can reduce that next season and see how it goes. Our initial idea was to make the advantage vary according to the attendance, but it could unbalance things even more. I haven’t realized there was such a big difference between home and away matches :)

Cheers!

November 21, 2008 18:11

375 posts(s)

Cool, do you remember the issue that attackers shoot on goal before the defenders can tackle them ? It will increase the effeciency of the defense !

November 22, 2008 08:49

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I do remember that. It’s on our coming soon list as “Players should lose some time between receiving the ball and shooting”

November 22, 2008 11:00

16 posts(s)

At least your team wins at home, and my team that in both doesn´t work?

November 26, 2008 14:44

637 posts(s)

Did you already change the home advantage?
Because I find it very strange that I lost my 3 last away matches against teams I easely beated home. And I didn’t change my squad or tactics.

Away
Roma – Genoa 5-3
Ascoli – Genoa 4-3
Atalanta – Genoa 4-3

Home
Genoa – Roma 6-2
Genoa – Ascoli 9-2
Genoa – Atalanta 6-1

Each away match my opponent and me played with the same squad and formation as in the home match.

My home matches I still easely win.

Do you guys have an explanation?

November 26, 2008 18:33

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

We haven’t changed anything yet. Analyzing the last 18000 FastTicker matches we found out that home teams won around 8000 times, which doesn’t seem too much. We can still change that for next season and give it a try.

Cheers!

November 26, 2008 18:41

375 posts(s)

What about the goal difference ? Looks like at home you can win 3-0 or 6-0, but away only 2-1 or 4-2

November 26, 2008 19:50

637 posts(s)

Yeah I don’t think you have to do something different. It is good the way it is right now but it’s strange that you beat a team at home with 6-0 and away they score 4 goals against you.

December 01, 2008 11:33

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

More statistics:

total non-friendly matches analyzed = 26695
home victories = 13635 (51%)
visitor victories = 6780 (25%)
draws = 6280 (24%)
home goals = 45481
visitor goals = 27011

Again, I think it’s not that unbalanced, it must be harder to win when playing as visitor, weak teams must have a chance. If your team is much stronger you’ll probably win anyway. The strange results may happen sometimes, we’ll always work to make sure they don’t happen very often. I’d like to hear more opinions on this subject before changing the code.

December 09, 2008 00:23

24 posts(s)

Donator

Hey, Gabriel… If those are the general statistics, I do think the way to go must have something to do with how easily goals are scored instead of who dominates the games. If we do analyze the game’s stats, we’ll see that good teams tend to dominate but home teams are generally more efficient.

I don’t know if that is the expected effect of home advantage, but I guess that when you guys do optimize the game code a little bit, it’ll even out further.

So, for now, even though I started the thread and probably voiced the opposite opinion, don’t change it, and keep your focus on making sure games with 70 shots don’t happen (or at least not as often), and that it is a little harder to score goals. I mean, strikers making 70 goals per season is probably too much :)

And as much as I like winning the occasional 10-0 game… it’s too much, as well :)

December 09, 2008 12:57

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I expect the number of shots to be reduced this season as we now have some time spent for player positioning on fouls, corners, etc. Let’s see what happens.

Cheers!

February 02, 2009 23:56

14 posts(s)

Something strange… I played last superliga tick, in medium ticker, and i lost with the last team of the league 4-1… In the round before, with the same tactic, only one player substituted, i won one of the best teams on the league 2-0.
I really think home and away differences are exagerated, if not in the number of loses and victories, at least on the number of goals… In real life one barely see a bottom team won a first team, for 4 goals it’s one in a thousand… and this happened to me reasonable times before… and i am not condescending with them.

EDIT: I think i found my flaw… i played with a youngster in the defence, that has good tackling… but bad header… i noticed this because three of the goals i suffered were from a header…
Although it was strange anyway, it makes more sense to me now! :)

Regards

Forums General