Forums General

Game engine

Subscribe to Game engine 5 post(s), 4 voice(s)

April 14, 2008 19:33

85 posts(s)

Donator

The economy model is doing fine :) now, with match replay we can see some serious stuff to improve…
I had noticed that playing 4-4-2 without middle position was like having a hole in the tactic! It is notorious! It’s not just a hole, it’s huge, like a highway to your own net!!!
I would be carefull with game engine changes because tactics will have success/unsuccess depending on it and players can get very disappointed with bug fix unsuccess… Perhaps improving game engine in the end of the season, from season to season is a good method, anyway, it’s just a suggestion.
About game engine, definitely, the number of positions should change, today we have L LC C RC R but this doesn’t work with 4 players!
It’s not apropriate, we should have more inner positions, a 4 player position would be like between L and LC, between LC and C, between C and RC and between RC and R.
What happens now is that if you play with 4 (by side) there will be a hole somewhere! I think this works like a big bug.
And this would be the first suggestion, I don’t remember laughing so much and so long, the technology is simply fantastic but the game remembers a singles vs married!!!

Cheers

April 14, 2008 19:45

4,285 posts(s)

Administator

I liked the suggestion to improve the match engine between seasons (that would mean between MediumTicker seasons). Totally agree about the 4 players line problem, my ideia is to place the players on those intermediate positions in the match instead of creating extra positions in the formation screen. We just need to make sure that doesn’t break anything in the match.

The important thing is that now everybody can see what happened during a match and give us feedback about it. We know there is a lot to do on that matter and it will require patience from all of you guys. Let’s see if we can deliver an improved engine every MediumTicker season.

Cheers!

p.s.: I liked the married vs singles analogy, it really looks like that! :-D

April 14, 2008 20:14

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

That is also the first thing I did when I saw the replay working (laughed a lot). It is very funny to see the imature state of our player AI :).

Anyway, we always knew that we needed to improve a lot on it. Now we will have everybody’s help :).

cheers!

April 14, 2008 23:31

18 posts(s)

It remembered me when I played soccer in little courts and the goalie lauched the ball through all the court until it reaches the attacker! In Rubysoccer, when this didn’t happen, then the defender passed the ball to the center midfield and then he passed to the center attacker! Besides, Gabriel was right some time ago previewing that every player would be running after the ball, it was hilarious! And what some miracle saves made by the Gks!! They’re rocks!!!

Now, talking serious, I noticed other things (because I had players playing at the center). In my game there was no play on the sides, I felt like was playing without at least 2 players, since my left and right wings didn’t saw the ball’s colour! They were use completely useless…

I noticed another middle problem, too, the gaps between the middle and the defence… You must have someone playing in D C +1 and another in M C -1, or you’ll have a huge hole. However, I must say that my defender playing in DC -1 was playing very well anticipating the attackers and stealing the ball.

I suggest that the game has an strategy configuration (similar to Managersim or better) that could tell a player where he has to play… With the ball, for example, you go forward and left (to be better tham MS, he could take short or long runs). Without the ball, you have to cover an area… This one could solve the hole problems.

As a lat observation, I think we should think about how quick the engine changes should happen. I don’t know how you guys are going to do it, but like was said there’s a lot to do… and if we wait and the changes didn’t work? I think you could do a little research to see what players think of it, but I think that a change in the engine (unlike the changes in players side and positions) affects everybody equally. Just warn us about what was changed (and which is the intention) and we’ll be prepared. What do you think?

Cheers!

April 15, 2008 00:16

1,003 posts(s)

Administator

Hey Rodrigo,

For now I will only comment one thing: a screen like managersim´s strategy for attack and defense is in our plans. I was going to implement that a couple months ago, but decided to go for the position changes / substitution rules first. Maybe I will do that one next, who knows….

The problem is we have a lot do to, not only in the match engine. I hope we can fit everything in as fast as possible!

cheers and thanks for your post.

Forums General