Forums General

The Game Engine

Subscribe to The Game Engine 4 post(s), 2 voice(s)

January 04, 2010 14:43

299 posts(s)

I think I am one of the few here who actually thinks the latest tweaks in game engine are good ones. Of course, Gabriel and Danilo have yet to implement the complete package, but I like what I see and looking forward to the rest

1. Strikers are not scoring as much as before! While many of you dislike this change, I do find it great.
-Before the changes excellent strikers could average 2 or 3 goals per game. We had strikers in the main leagues scoring up to 100 goals a season. That’s HIGHLY unrealistic.
-After the change, the midfield to great extent, and the defense to a much smaller extent, are being involved in scoring. That is Excellent and Highly realistic. At the same time, the strikers have not become dead wood, instead, they are scoring at rate strikers are supposed to score as in real life.

Valencieness Statistics in FT in 21 games so far
Strikers 20 goals (54%)
Midfield 14 goals
Defenders 3 goals

Premier League Stats in RL season 09/10
Team________GS_____GM_____GD
Chelsea_____19_____18_____3
United______22_____15_____3
Arsenal_____19_____22_____7
Liverpool___23_____10_____3
Total_______83_____65_____16

Basically: Strikers score 50%, Mids 40%, Defense 10%
Instead of relying on just 1-2 super strikers, now the whole team matters :)

2. The weird results
Like many here, I have had my share of shitty scores, in complete contrast with the performance on the pitch. All the weird results have been against me.
3 away games for Valencieness
2-1 (8-22 shots)
2-2 (6-18 shots)
2-0 (6-25 shots)

2 home games
1-1 (31-3)
1-1 (23-11) this one is acceptable

However, these scores are not the result of the latest changes. They have been a commonality before it. Of course, it needs to be fixed asap, but again, it has been here all along.

3. Problems from watching the replay
-Players running toward the goal, all alone and no defenders in front of them, stop, get caught by an opposing defender from behind a lose the ball.
-Players in the same kind of situation who pass the ball back, instead of continuing the run and take a shot on the goal.
-Players in defense keep passing the ball to opposition players for no reason at all.
-Players who are unmarked and have space in front of them, just pass the ball to a marked players instead of pushing forward.
-In contrast, players who are marked and have no where to go, refuse to pass the ball to the close by and unmarked teammate. Even if them teams is playing rare & short passing, this doesn’t make sense.
-Players with low dribble act like the Messi twin.
-One on one situations should usually end up in goal. It doesn’t
-I have seen many offside passes that have been allowed.
-And more…

To stand correct, I assume the reply doesn’t exactly present what “really” happens on the pitch, hence, what we see can be illusive.

Anyway, I think the changes are positive and hopefully more are on the way. And we should not forget all this is possible on the creators personal expenses and spare time.

cheers
D

January 04, 2010 17:58

241 posts(s)

I kind of agree the midfielders and defenders scoring is not a bad thing but it will make more sense if only players with high shooting or heading scores regularly. Same goes with other statistics. Its common to see defenders with poor passing having high passing success or midfielders with poor tackling having high tackling success. The problem i think is the supporting skills have too much weigh determining players performance in these areas .

We should all live with some unlucky results but luck almost always favors the weaker sides. You would like to get lucky also when your team is dominating making most of your chances and winning by a large margin. Right now this rarely happens and almost all games are tight.

January 04, 2010 19:34

299 posts(s)

compare these two strikers (from tackle to head)

A 80 85 100 90 87 87 92 (621)

B 85 70 88 97 96 95 90 (621)

Which player do you think should be the better?
In real life, I think player B is the better one.

Play A can only really function only if has a midfield that can set him up nicely to take shots. He can hardly make something on his own because he lacks enough pace, dribble, and ball control to get past defenders on his own. He is a finisher and that;s about it. He will rely on wingers for example, or on making the 30 meter shots.
Player B, lacks shooting, but with those kind of secondaries, he has a much higher chance to take the ball and put himself in scoring positions where shooting skill won’t matter much. He is a chance maker.

In midfield the thing gets more complicated. Other than secondaries, midfielder should at least be able to either tackle, or shoot, other than passing. That’s why (secondaries aside) an 87-92-83 (tackle, pass, shoot) is better than a 77-100-77 midfielder.
In addition, the tackle quality should depend on the dribble quality of the opposing player. For example, a 75 tackle can perhaps have the same success on 80 dribbler, as a 85 tackler has on a 92 dribbler (just a supposition)

As for defender’s passing, generally speaking, they make the easiest passes (passing sideways to one another or to a free mid). In RL defenders have usually above 80% passing ratio. Midfielder passing stands between 60-80

January 04, 2010 21:27

241 posts(s)

So far we officially know that speed is almost as important as keeping for keepers, the rest is just speculation. Off course its not really good to reveal too much that can kill the fun but we have no idea how sophisticated game logic is.

I just hope just adding the skill total of a player doesn’t determine how well he performs but the role you assign depending on players strengths.

For example tackling being most important skill after passing when you put your mid in M -1 zone. Passing being important when your defender is on D +1 zone etc.

As for your example, i would take player A since he is perfect shooter and not really lacking too much in other skills.

Forums General